CrimethInc kids here tonight, staying over for PointlessFest 2006...
I don't know what it is about those sneering youth that pisses me off so damn much. To be sure, I have no problem with the archetype per se; black-clad, dreadlocks and so on. I would much prefer if the know-it-all Inc-ers came to me in Brooks Brothers cod pieces like all the rest.
No no no, its the quasi-anarchic yet wholly authoritarian and reactionary attitude, found attatched to the sleeves of a number of self-proclaimed 'radicals,' that truly gets me. CrimethInc, with it's massive audience and surprising printing successes has such potential to really set a vast number of people free. Free from the bonds of capitalist wage-labor, free from the grips of a zombifiying culture, and free from the disappointment of paper-thin avatars...
Their declarations and denunciations of even the most obviously vile and deranged limbs of The Void feel a bit saccharine. Telling those who have found this book that they should question their reality, that they should explore the idea of something else is redundant. Masturbatory passages that sound like tirades against Dad will free no one from anything...
Don't read this wrong, though; when I first picked up CrimethInc tomes, I was excited. I eagerly awaited more publications and copied passages for other's to read. But there is this sort of loop built into the CrimethInc doctrine, as well as the myriad other radical entities they mirror. Is seeking a path towards emancipation, the focus is on ever-deeper understanding of the length, circumference and composition of our chains. There may be hints at how to shake them off, but what then? "Build a new world," while relevant, is hardly helpful...
How can people feed themselves and their families? How can they work towards a body of technology that balances it's good and ill effects? Disengagment is the clear choice for many, but once disconnected, we cannot all simply drift, this is simply another form of The Void.
Again, The Bridge...
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment